Monday, July 28, 2008

Quando a Roma...Parte 1 (uno)

So I had my first outing to Rome on Saturday (July 26) - and it was quite a full day! I had booked two tours for myself - a Baroque tour of Rome in the morning and a tour of Vatican City in the afternoon. Lots of pictures of course, so this will probably take a few posts...the question is, where to begin? I think I will use some advice from Alice in Wonderland:
The March Hare: "Start at the beginning!"
The Mad Hatter: "Yes, and when you come to the end, stop!"
(you all know I'm obsessed)

So my journey to the Eternal City began early in the morning - I wanted to catch the 7:30 train so that I would have plenty of time to get properly lost before finding the meeting site for my 9:30 tour. On the way to the train station I took this picture - it's of Via L. Bonaparte (not sure what the "L" stands for...there's a lot of that with street names around here - take the street outside LNF: Via E. Fermi - I always say "east" in my head for some reason even though I at least know in this case that the "E" stands for "Enrico"). I think it looks like the trees are growing out of the sidewalk (and I don't know how they manage about the roots around here - you don't see any traces of them).

It was good that I decided to arrive early because, of course, I got a bit confused leaving the train station and headed in the wrong direction. Nothing like getting lost to help you find yourself! Roma Termini is the main train station in Rome - all the metros stop there as well, and my destination was the Piazza della Repubblica, which, it turns out, is actually much closer to the station than it looked on my map. In any event I got to the right place at about 8:45 so still had some time on my hands...easily solved, however, because the meeting place was in front of Santa Maria degli Angeli - a beautiful church! Well, actually it doesn't look like much from the outside, as you can see. The area is the former site of the Diocletian Baths, and thus there are many ruins about. Someone saw fit to build a church inside, however, and while the outside is humble, the inside is stunning. I tried to take a good picture of the dome that covers the entrance, but those sorts of shots are always difficult. It is capped with the most beautiful, geometric stained glass. It really is a magnificent church, and I think moreso because you are so shocked by the contrast between the exterior and interior.


View of the Piazza della Repubblica - before things get rolling!


The dome over the entrance of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The picture doesn't do it justice at all, I'm afraid.


Interior of la chiesa. I got a little weak in the knees when I walked inside (literally).


Not a bad start to a day in the Eternal City, I'd say.

No comments: